About Me

My photo
United States
I am a multidimensional, hands-on creative artist and poet with a San Diego based home studio. Having always been too curious and too creative, I have continually studied a variety of artistic disciplines and philosophies throughout my life with established teachers...unstable teachers, artists, schools and whatnot. This, paired with a lifelong investigation into spirituality, has given me a large creative toolkit from which to draw ;) and interest to (respectively) play with, break, challenge, modify, ignore and celebrate the rules related to the aforementioned studies. I am a strong believer in not messing with a child's innate curiosity and wonder, the value of family (however defined), individual creativity, community, and our environment. I continue to study and enjoy creative expressions-with the exception of acid jazz. Some common characteristics found within my work are: re-purposing everyday items and discard-able things, harmonizing opposites, playing with current beliefs and assumptions with a whimsical twist, and delicately blending spontaneity with discipline. The end results are simple, joyful expressions of wonder imbued with an invitation to discover more.

Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Art of Deception

Big fan of Eddie Izzard.  Went to the Comedy Festival in Vegas with some friends and thought it would be fun to do a bit of a comedic twist on the Executive Transvestite gig in respects to Eddie... Even concocted a silly mixed media piece influenced by his jokes and references.  It included, but not limited to, a mason jelly jam jar, hair gel, assorted miniature girly items, a toy motorcycle and a cute detachable rhinestone bracelet.
I labeled it "Izzy's Jam" and near the end of his show scurried up to the stage, kinda hunkered down like - not wanting to impede on the audience's view behind me.  Though the circumstances would have dictated a proud Diva~esh saunter... I am only so brave. Besides, now in retrospect, a scurrying, hunched over Diva that's trying not to attract any attention to herself is pretty comical...
After the show, on our way to the loo I received a generous cat-call from a gentlemen in line for the next show only to have his girlfriend hit him in the arm and tell him to "Shut UP! That's a GUY!"