About Me

My photo
United States
I am a multidimensional, hands-on creative artist and poet with a San Diego based home studio. Having always been too curious and too creative, I have continually studied a variety of artistic disciplines and philosophies throughout my life with established teachers...unstable teachers, artists, schools and whatnot. This, paired with a lifelong investigation into spirituality, has given me a large creative toolkit from which to draw ;) and interest to (respectively) play with, break, challenge, modify, ignore and celebrate the rules related to the aforementioned studies. I am a strong believer in not messing with a child's innate curiosity and wonder, the value of family (however defined), individual creativity, community, and our environment. I continue to study and enjoy creative expressions-with the exception of acid jazz. Some common characteristics found within my work are: re-purposing everyday items and discard-able things, harmonizing opposites, playing with current beliefs and assumptions with a whimsical twist, and delicately blending spontaneity with discipline. The end results are simple, joyful expressions of wonder imbued with an invitation to discover more.

Monday, February 6, 2012

A Note About Dhislex~E ahh




I just sent a note to The Yale Center for Dyslexia & Creativity because of the article in the NY Times "The Upside of Dyslexia" inspired me to share with them a thought...

___________________________________________________________________________


"I just read an article today in the NY Times, "The Upside of Dyslexia." and thought I would share some of my understanding.

I am not dyslexic, but I am dhisleckzic :)  It is my understanding that offering "challenged readers" an opportunity to choose what color each of the letters of the alphabet are* as well as some basic font specifications, then have a simple computer/tablet program translate their "personal way of seeing the words" [for any word document/book etc.] would make reading more accessible to the way the "challenged reader's" brains are wired.

This is also applicable to mathematics.

* each individual can easily answer this question IF asked -- the younger the better. As well as other sensory translations per symbol/letter... taste, smell, texture, sound...and even deeper - opinions and associations.
This simply bridges/sinks-up the left and right sides of the brain.

For example - my letter J is a high gloss, opaque fuchsia pink, that tastes and smells like a Jolly Rancher Watermelon candy, feels like wet batting material and sounds like a high pitched ringing that you want to stop.

My number 9 is a translucent yellow, has a bland creamy taste, smells like broccoli and feels like the outside of PVC pipe (white specifically) and my favorite -- sounds like song birds singing off in the distance.

...Hope this is helpful :O)

Gratefully,
Jennifer Lonack

P.S. - thank you if your organization has helped stop pulling dyslexic's out of their classrooms during the creative arts segment of the day... putting them into dark rooms, alone, and making them write "d's" and "b's" over and over, and over again until they still can't get it.
...because, as you would know, any true dhiezlexick,
if asked,
would tell you
 that
"repetition"
        is NOT the key!"

Again - with gratitude."